Monday, January 04, 2010

I don't speak good.

I can hardly speak well, either.  My writing is no better than my speaking.  I cain't spell and I don't got good grammer, neither.

My current excuse?  Why, I live in Kentucky.  Which actually is no excuse at all - except for one teeny-tiny lil' detail mentioned in an article he wrote called Only a poltroon despises dedantry.  David Mitchell, the guy what wrote that there piece hit the ol' nail on the head.  Talking about grammar and the like he said, "...the rules do matter - it's just that obeying them doesn't."  'Ceptin he didn' say it quite right, he shoulda said, 'the rules matter some, just ya don' has to obey 'em much.'

Which leads me to my real point in offering this linguistic and grammatical send up.  It seems that as a society we Joseph Averages in our egalitarian splendor have accepted the reward but little of the responsibility of rugged individualism.  'I cain do what I wants as long as I don' git caught.' is the same as suggesting that the 'rules do matter - it's just obeying them doesn't.'

Posted via email from Pa^2 Patois

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .