Sunday, August 19, 2007

What can I give?


What do you get for the person who has everything?

What if that person was your Aunt or Uncle who's familial love was unconditional?

What gift could be given to a person 'who has everything' that they might value or cherish?

These are questions that I have faced once a week for the past 33 weeks. Each Sunday morning I have sat, often before this very keyboard, and wrestled. In the earliest weeks I sat here and could hear only the echoes of previous Sundays swirling through my thoughts. Slowly those noises abated in favor of the actual sounds of the mornings. Entire Sunday mornings spent on the back stoop listening to the bird calls and occasional cars. Other Sunday mornings spent soaring and searching cyberspace for the latest offerings of insight and wisdom. Yet under it all ran an undercurrent of questioning.

Only now, today, have I been able to pose the questions above.

What gift could be given to a person 'who has everything' that they might value or cherish?
The gift that I can give is the same gift that would be given by the person 'who has everything'.

The only thing that is of such value that it could be gifted by the person w-h-e is the only thing that is worthy of being given to such a person.

If I give of myself in the same manner that the person w-h-e gives then I am contributing to the nature of his or her gift.

Premise:
  • the person w-h-e cannot get anything more as he or she already has everything.
  • the person w-h-e can do nothing and will receive nothing in return.
  • the person w-h-e can give of his or her everything and gain the satisfaction of such giving.
To the person w-h-e I can give as they give and in turn receive the satisfaction of such giving. Thus, the only thing I can give to the person w-h-e is to give as I am able to those that the person w-h-e gives to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .