Saturday, December 09, 2023

 NEXTCLOUD – I want to own my own data.


“If you are not paying for a product, then you are the product.” - Tristan Harris


Each time I opened Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Flickr, Yahoo, MSN, or Google (i.e. “Silos”), the words of Tristan Harris, a former Google design ethicist echoed in my conscientiousness. I began to view ‘being the product’ as synonymous with ‘being held hostage’. Big Tech was threatening me with not only the loss of my friends and family but also with the loss of my digital possessions.

Almost from Day One I was a Google user. I would later say of myself that I was an early adopter of all things Google; I drank the Google kool-aid. I was right at home, emersed in the Google Eco-sphere.

“If you are not paying for a product, then you are the product.”


It is wonderfully ironic that this article is about Free and Open Source (FOSS) software.


For the full article please follow this link Nextclould - I Want To Own My Own Data

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .