Saturday, March 14, 2009

From the department of HUH!?!?

Employee Free Choice Act as Stimulus for US Economy

by: Seth Sandronsky, t r u t h o u t | Perspect

. . .

All things constant, the more a worker earns, the less she needs to borrow to get by.

. . .
In fairness Seth Sandronsky's article focused on the economic merits and faults of organized labor. But...

This single sentence epitomizes in my view the real problem of our economy. We as a nation have gotten to the point where we feel compelled to 'borrow to get by.'

'To get by' suggests to my mind a base level of economic existence. Having been independently poor for the majority of my life I believe that I have a well established sense of what it takes 'to get by.' I can say that it doesn't include a McMansion, a "bubble" salary, the right clothes, or other trappings of our social largess. It does mean living within our means.

My observation is that for much too long we have established our desired life style and then tried to afford it on our earnings. This could well precipitate a need to 'borrow to get by.' Wouldn't it be much better all the way around to establish our earnings and then live an affordable life style?

Huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .