Sunday, October 26, 2008

Open Innocence Lost: A view of American politics

The first time I heard Barack Obama speak (as a 2008 primary candidate) I drifted into the childlike dream state of believing in integrity and virtue and altruism and equality and fairness and the innate value of human beings. I believed that Barack Obama embodied those qualities. I knew from that point forward that I would vote for Barack Hussein Obama in the coming primary election.

Moreover, I drifted into the state of believing in the integrity of the American political process. I relished the prospect of civilized discourse and intelligent debate. I longed for dramatic and compelling stump speeches that rallied Americans with visions of the future and acknowledgments of progress and growth. I began to have faith in the American political process.

That is until the final stages of the primary campaign. Then I began to see that pursuit of power corrupts (and the pursuit of absolute power corrupts absolutely.) I began to see that the candidates in attempting to remain PC (Politically Correct - How wonderfully ironic is that?) would not say "Sugar" with a mouth full but their handlers and spokespersons would just as easily use the other "S" word.

So the days, hours and finally minutes ticked off and to some small extent my faith in American politics was restored. Not because a well qualified African-American was nominated over a well qualified woman but rather that the process was allowed to proceed with out artificial encumbrances - like the Democratic Party elite making some backroom decision based on an obscure technical party rule.

My faith was restored at that point for a somewhat more self centered reason as well. Certainly that has to do with the affirmation of my choice. But it more importantly has to do with the affirmation of our choice. I want to have faith in our ability not just as Democrats but as Americans to make good decisions. Now one may argue that had we nominated Hillary Clinton that would have been a good decision but I contend that a.) we did not and b.) the criteria used by the majority was more in line with my views than the minority. The conclusion that I can draw is that as far as the Democrat primary election and subsequent nomination are concerned I can depend on my views as a bellweather for the future of the political process.

Faced now with the field of candidates running for the office of the President of the United States I can without equivication affirm my support for Barack Obama. I can do so because I can have faith in my own person perspective and I can have faith as a bellweather for American voters. I can state that American voters will elect the best candidate. It is my most fervent hope that we are allowed to do so without artificial emcumberances.


I am going to vote for Barack Obama.
I am William "Papa" Meloney and I endorse this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .