Saturday, March 15, 2008

Open Political Revolution

I must admit that I sneered at the "elections" of South American dictators, communist puppet govenments and middle-eastern theocrats. All the while I tried to wrap myself in the warm comforter of USofA Democracy's one-person-one-vote. Even though I distanced myself from day-to-day political dealings I paid lip-service to the nobility of the American political process.

Then one day a candidate emerged on the American political scene that caught my attention. Stepping forward is an educated, erudite visionary who begins to speak to the heart of the American people. This candidate begins to evoke feelings that I once just paid lip-service to in describing our system of government. This candidate begins to show the American people that there can be an alternative to politics-as-usual. A candidate that understands that power does not come from the office but is mandated by the people. A candidate who is actively seeking just such a mandate. A candidate who is seeking the support of the people.

In contrast the politics-as-usual candidates, orating in first person presumptive tones, speak of the power of the office all the while evoking the fears of war. They play political brinkmanship with threats of boycotting the very process they are engaged in (and supposedly supporting as a political ideal). They further threaten to demand the return of monies if their party doesn't play the political game the way that they paid for. They insist on changing the rules of the game mid-play because they realize they are losing and must try every underhanded trick they can think of to salvage their failing position.

Should such politics-as-usual prevail then I will not be able to differentiate USofA politics from those of contemptable South American dictators, communist puppet govenments and middle-eastern theocrats.

Do not let the few dictate to the many what is ethical or right.

America, I call you to open political revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .