Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Open Weave

If you have read me before you know that I have taken a big gulp of the Google-Aid. So you won't be surprised at all to hear that I was an early adopter of the Google Browser Sync extension for Firefox. Across platforms my Firefox experience is [almost] the same. Now I should mention that this extension is just a bit idio-sync-ratic. I mean, I have lost my bookmarks once or twice but... seems that backups abound on the other platforms so... only a little blood, a little harm, so only a little foul.

Caveat: Google is a search engine. It is intent on acquiring data and then drawing conclusions, specifically merchandising meta-data.

Mozilla enters the sync-ronicity fray offering ...

The general idea is that by utilizing a Mozilla online services backend, users can store data such as bookmarks and history. That data can be synchronized with their local browser or even multiple browsers.
...

According to the Mozilla Labs blog post announcing the Weave effort, one of the goals of the project is to, "ensure that it is easy for people to set up their own services with freely available open standards-based tools."

Mozilla also expects the Weave effort to grow into a social effort, enabling a user's online hosted data to be shared and accessed by friends. The group also plans to build out tools and APIs so that developers can expand and utilize the platform.

- InternetNews
Just what we need...
  • YASN - Yet Another Social Network
  • "a user's online hosted data to be shared and accessed by friends" ??? Maybe someone from F*ceB00k will give them a call and explain the facts of life to them. Sheeeeesh!
  • ...and just what will Mozilla do with this wealth of meta-data? To whom will they sell my personal information?
I don't know what better fits this situation: 'Better the devil you know' or 'Out of the frying pan, into the fire'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .