Sunday, July 01, 2007

Google Kool-Aid....Ah, refreshing.

Before you go all "JimJonesSlamming" on me there are a couple of mitigating circumstances that should be acknowledged.

  1. I have recently taken on a new set of responsibilities (e.g. Intranet Web Master (MS-IIS), MS-Access Developer, Postgresql Database Administrator)
  2. I work on several different computing platforms - Servers, Desktops, Laptops, PDAs (e.g. RedHat, Slackware, Ubuntu, MS-Windows XP, MS-Server2003, Palm)
In everyday operational terms I need to have a seamless Information Environment that is not platform dependent. Currently I am composing this entry on an IBM R51 laptop running Ubuntu 7. My main desktop is a well resourced MS-Windows XP-Pro system. With the ubiquity of Internet access I can get to my 'stuff' from nearly any computer that I can log into.

So here is the Google (+FireFox) line-up...

  • gMail - the Foundation.
  • Google Sync - Essential for keeping it seamless.
  • gCalendar - the name says it all.
  • gReader - RSS and news feeds all in one place
  • Google Gears - Because I cannot be connected to the Internet every minute of every day.
  • gNotebook - Handy place to put things worth saving.
  • gDocs & Sreadsheets - Mature "Office" suite compliment.
  • Recently I identified the need for a 'To Do' list so I have begun to work with ToDoCue - a FoxFire/Google Add-On. I have to wonder when Google will integrate a ToDO feature of their own.
  • Google Desktop - Finding it fast when I really need it.
Bonus Add-On: CustomizeGoogle - I have certain reservations about using this applet but not enough to stop me. :) CustomizeGoogle allows me to fine tune my Google experience. True enough, sometimes too much of a Google thing is not a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .