Thursday, March 08, 2007

What return do I get on my saving?

Daylight Saving Time
... Troy James makes an excellent point about DST:

Saving is used here as a verbal adjective (a participle). It modifies time and tells us more about its nature; namely, that it is characterized by the activity of saving daylight. It is a saving daylight kind of time. Similar examples would be a mind expanding book or a man eating tiger. Saving is used in the same way as saving a ball game, rather than as a savings account.
Troy also went on to point out that no actual daylight has been saved as a result of this policy ...

Sooooooo, somebody s'plain to me 'xactly what I get for allowing my clocks to be jostled about twice a year? ('Cept a headache from trying to keep all this time changing straight.)

. . .