Thursday, March 08, 2007

What return do I get on my saving?

Daylight Saving Time
... Troy James makes an excellent point about DST:

Saving is used here as a verbal adjective (a participle). It modifies time and tells us more about its nature; namely, that it is characterized by the activity of saving daylight. It is a saving daylight kind of time. Similar examples would be a mind expanding book or a man eating tiger. Saving is used in the same way as saving a ball game, rather than as a savings account.
Troy also went on to point out that no actual daylight has been saved as a result of this policy ...

Sooooooo, somebody s'plain to me 'xactly what I get for allowing my clocks to be jostled about twice a year? ('Cept a headache from trying to keep all this time changing straight.)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:46 PM

    William, I can't understand why we adjust our clocks either. If it is to "save energy" as the new "law" states....then why don't we just leave the time change adjusted an hour forward as it is now and leave it that way forever. Instead of adjusting it back in November? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete

. . .