Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Social Networking Bill Of Rights

Social Networking Bill Of Rights Released

Privacy advocates seek comments on a 14-point plan for protecting users' personal information online.


Computers, Freedom, and Privacy (CFP) conference spent last week creating a Users' Bill of Rights that is now available for public consumption, feedback, and approval.

1. Honesty: Honor your privacy policy and terms of service.

2. Clarity: Make sure that policies, terms of service, and settings are easy to find and understand. 

3. Freedom of speech: Do not delete or modify my data without a clear policy and justification. 

4. Empowerment: Support assistive technologies and universal accessibility. 

5. Self-protection: Support privacy-enhancing technologies. 

6. Data minimization: Minimize the information I am required to provide and share with others. 

7. Control: Let me control my data, and don't facilitate sharing it unless I agree first. 

8. Predictability: Obtain my prior consent before significantly changing who can see my data. 
9. Data portability: Make it easy for me to obtain a copy of my data. 

10. Protection: Treat my data as securely as your own confidential data unless I choose to share it, and notify me if it is compromised. 

11. Right to know: Show me how you are using my data and allow me to see who and what has access to it. 

12. Right to self-define: Let me create more than one identity and use pseudonyms. Do not link them without my permission. 

13. Right to appeal: Allow me to appeal punitive actions. 

14. Right to withdraw: Allow me to delete my account, and remove my data.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/privacy/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=225701171&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

Posted via email from Pa^2 Patois

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .