Thursday, August 27, 2009

NYT - UR DOINIT RITE!

Even though four or five years ago, Mary-Kate and Ashley were the biggest names in tween clothing, thanks to a deal with Wal-Mart, today they’re practically aesthetes.

Ha!  This isn't about Mary-Kate & Ashley ... This is about the last word in the paragraph, "aesthetes".  More specifically this is about my not knowing exactly what that word meant. (I did recognize the root structure, aesthetic. I may be a bumpkin but...) So, I did what I always do when faced with my own ignorance... I swiped the word and was about to do a Search Google for "aesthetes" when a little question mark appeared automagically.  When I clicked on it I was taken... HERE

Dictionary

aes·thete or es·thete (ĕs'thēt) pronunciation
n.
  1. One who cultivates an unusually high sensitivity to beauty, as in art or nature.
  2. One whose pursuit and admiration of beauty is regarded as excessive or affected.
Now I am a bit of a bumpkin (albeit a bit erudite at times) but I find some of the NYT writers use vocabulary that broaches on pretentious.  O'course that there's pro'ly just 'cause I'm from Kin-tuck an' they'all don' talk like that in these parts.  T'any rate, havin' that there auto-magic question mark appear just when I was gonna Google that there word - shoot-fire, New York Times, yer doin' it right.  (Even iffen y'are one of them east-coast-intellectual-liberal-newspapers.  Dang!)

Posted via email from Pa^2 Patois

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .