Saturday, March 14, 2009

...beyond the primal fear box.

Ronni Bennett from Time Goes By, Elder News shared this ...

Sad news. On 7 March, 78-year-old Gene Maudlin who blogged for four years at Old Horsetail Snake died. According to a lovely tribute to him at A Mark on My Wall,

“Gene died today utilizing Oregon’s Death with Dignity plan. He was tuckered out from trying to breathe. His Scamp was with him at Hospice Hopewell House.”

Gene's site was one of the best daily laughs in the blogosphere. He was irascible, irreverent, profane and fall-down funny. His blog is archived here. Give yourself a smile or two today and read some of it.

I took an involuntary breath, a small gasp, when I read 'Oregon's Death with Dignity plan.' The small gasp surprised me. Why?

I have long been a staunch supporter of personal life/death rights. I believe that every individual should be allowed to make decisions regarding their "quality of life". I believe that every individual should be allowed to decide when to initiate their own death process.

That having been said let me acknowledge that such a decision, 'to initiate their own death process', is not the same as wantonly taking one's own life in desperation or fear. It is of paramount importance that we acknowledge that our frail biological canister we call our body has very finite resources. I believe we should honor and acknowledge this fact in accepting gracefully that eventually our body will stop functioning properly. When that becomes obvious to the person then we must have programs like Oregon's Death with Dignity plan.

So what can I take away from my surprise gasp?

Here is a man, Gene Maudlin, that I never knew. Until Ronnie mentioned him and his blog I would have never had the opportunity to discover Gene. (Sadly the blogosphere is so huge that many great and small, like me, will go undiscovered.) So, what can I take away from my surprise gasp?

I am not the only one who gasps. I am not the only one who is surprised when they gasp.

I surmise that a great number of folks upon gasping and possibly being surprised simply turn their backs on the matter. Reacting to a sort of primal fear they label Oregon's Death with Dignity plan as bad. Without giving any thought to Gene's personal circumstance. Without giving any thought to the extensive soul searching that Gene did prior to making his decision. Without knowing that the people who really knew Gene honored and supported his decision.

Human beings are great because we have the ability to move beyond our primal fears. So, while you are moving 'beyond the box' take Ronnie's good advise and read some of Gene Maudlin. His blog is archived here. Give yourself a smile or two today and read some of it.

My father would have loved this... Thanks Gene!

A young ventriloquist is touring the clubs and one day he stops to entertain in one of the many bars in West VirginiaKentucky. He's going through his normal run of stupid jokes when a large fellow in about the fourth row stands on his chair and says, "I 've heard just about enough of your denigrating jokes."

He continues to berate the joker. "What makes you think you can stereotype us that way. I'ts guys like you who keep people like me from being respected at work and in the community, or of reaching their full potential as a person, because you and your kind continue to perpetuate discrimination against us, all in the name of humor."

Flustered, the ventriloquist begins to apologize, when the harrasser pipes up, "You stay out of this, Mister. I'm talking to that little jerk on your knee."

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .