Saturday, August 23, 2008

Open Affirmation: Yes We Can!

Yes we can!

Those three words constitute the perfect campaign slogan. As a signature phrase it conveys a sense of optimism, unity and achievement. In its personal familiarity it resonates deeply. Its upbeat tone promotes a feeling of well being. As a firm assertion it carries the full weight and measure of a promises offered and kept.

It begins with the absolute affirmation, "Yes". This is the ultimate feel-good word. This is the word that we most want to hear. In its affirmation it gives permission by categorically refuting the implied historical put-down, "You can't do that." Permission in turn provides the ethical foundation for empowerment.

Literally, "We" are in the middle. "We" is the unifying element bringing everyone together. "We" can also be used self-referentially (the Royal "we") allowing individuals to be invested up-close-and-personal with positive empowerment. It should also be noted that from a political governance perspective "We" is shorthand for "We, the people, in order to form a more perfect union..."

"Can" is the very heart of promise. Simultaneously "can" denotes that we have knowledge, ability, power and that we have the right to use them. It implies that we are capable as well as suitably resourced or provisioned to meet the coming challenge. In this instance "can" is used as a synonym for "may". The more proper "may" gives us (we) formal permission to aspire and achieve.

Yes we can!

However, it promises everything and delivers nothing.

We feel good, we have the ability and we have permission. To do what?

Yes I will!

Yes I will accept personal responsibility for...
improving my health
improving my diet
reducing my carbon foot print

Yes I will affect positive change in my community.

Yes I will vote for Barack Obama.


I am going to vote for Barack Obama.
I am William "Papa" Meloney and I endorse this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .