Thursday, July 03, 2008

Open Open Patois Patois


Wednesday, July 02, 2008


Lawd, mi chile! Whappen tu Jamayka?

Jamaica is building up a good head of froth over the prospect of a project by the Bible Society of the West Indies to translate The Bible into Patois and publish it. Already, I feel conflicted. Should I write every sentence in standard English and then the equivalent in Patois? Is "Patois" a proper noun needing to be capitalized or can I write it with a small p? That's another issue, but it could also lead to a lot of froth. Now, it may not be my choice as the best use of money, but do I fear for my country's linguistic balance as a result of this?


I am going to vote for Barack Obama.
I am William "Papa" Meloney and I endorse this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .