Saturday, June 21, 2008

Open: Coming out

I have decided to 'come out'. I have not taken this decision lightly. The ramifications to my family and friends have weighed very heavily on me during my hours and days of deliberation of this matter. All that having been said I have decided to make the following declaration:

I am a human being.

There! I said it. Right there in print for all the world to see. I am a human being and I am proud.

For the longest time I was in a state of confusion. I had feelings of not belonging. I felt that there just had to be more. As a closeted 'human being' I segregated myself from others. I felt that I should keep away from those that didn't keep the same human values that I have. I was afraid that once labeled as a 'human' I would be ostracized and shunned.

Then I slowly learned of entire communities of human beings. Open societies that endorsed and embraced human values. Enclaves of like-minded individuals who truly feel that being human, being a human being is the very foundation of equality. And in being a human being we are endowed with unalienable rights.

It even turns out that some of my best friends are human beings.


I am going to vote for Barack Obama.
I am William "Papa" Meloney and I endorse this message.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:23 PM

    Congratulations on mustering the courage to do this. After the newness wears off, you may find there are more human beings than you thought possible. I am working up to it myself and hope to arrive at the same platform you now occupy in the very near future.

    ReplyDelete

. . .