Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Open Messenger (and the question of killing same)

In a previous post I embedded the entire article that was reprinted in our local "news" paper. I will not refute the content of this article. I do find the 'retelling' of an ugly truth, regardless of its truthiness, reprehensible.

I am very disappointed by the matter-of-fact reporting of bigoted opinions and attitudes held by too many Kentuckians. I believe that the people who maintain such opinions and attitudes see the printing of this story as legitimization of these reprehensible values.

"Heh heh, Bubba, ya seen they printed what I said in the Noosepaper? Didja?"

I believe that small town media outlets like the one here in Owensboro Kentucky have an obligation to help heal the rifts that have divided our country for such a long time. Simply mouthing the 'truth' is a much a part of the problem as is the reality of hatred and bigotry.

I suggest that the Messenger is responsible for the content of the message and should be held accountable.


I am going to vote for Barack Obama.
I am William "Papa" Meloney and I endorse this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .