Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Open Title: Barack Obama Saved My Life

Until just recently I had been committing suicide very slowly . . . by bacon. Bacon & Eggs, Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato, Triple Bacon Cheeseburger, Bacon wrapped shrimp, Bacon wrapped scallops, Bacon wrapped ... anything. Oh, and did I mention an all time personal favorite, Grilled Bacon and Peanutbutter sandwich - it is to die for... er, literally.

My cardiologist would be the first to confirm my self-destructive tendency. His assertion is that consumption of excessive amounts of animal fat, tri-glycerides and sodium would have just such an effect; Death. Slow death by bacon.

Then I began to pay attention to the presidential primaries. Soon my attention was drawn to the Senator from Illinois, a young man by the name of Barack Obama. An idealist in the realm of American politics believing that in fact any young person can grow up to be President. A realist in daily American life understanding and being willing to speak the truth. A man willing to speak truth to power. An advocate for change.

The more I listened the more I wanted to hear. The more I heard the better I felt. The weight of disenfranchisement began to fall away. Enduring over 20 debates bolstered my stamina. Seeing Barack Obama successfully challenge the good-ol'-girl political machine gave me courage. I am no longer depressed. I am ready and willing to fight. I want to live ... to see Barack Obama elected to office of President of the United States of America.

...and that gentle reader is how Barack Obama Saved My Life.

[Disclosure: I probably will go back to eating bacon. After all some of my best friends are Mega-Agri-Corporate Republican pig farmers who have insisted on their share of don't-grow-the-crops farm subsidies and other pork-barrel projects.]


(Now forming...the committee to N E V E R elect a President Clinton)
I am William "Papa" Meloney and I endorse this message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .