Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Open Mesh, Another Microsoft Mess!

I have to admit that The Mesh appears appealing. Having access to all my files, any where I am seems like a great idea ... except for a couple of wee small issues.

#1: Microsoft has all your stuff!!!

So, when I say "all your stuff" I mean ALL YOUR STUFF. All your stuff are belong to Microsoft.

Now this is certainly of little concern to Aunt Jane and her recipe for stuffed cabbage. But what of the road warrior? Innocently 'uploading' the sales presentation for the pitch to Acme Corporation to the Mesh. Or that conscientious administrative assistant who 'uploads' that spreadsheet to the Mesh so she can finish working on it over the weekend. That spreadsheet detailing the coming lay-offs and resultant savings in wages and salaries.

"I'd like to listen to my music at work, just like I do at home."

The Microsoft Mesh becomes the largest repository of ripped music on the planet. I bet that RIAA is preparing subpoenas as I type.

#2: You have to use Microsoft's sub-standard products to access your stuff.

Sadly, this is the most insidious aspect of the appealing Microsoft Mesh. This is just one more in a very long litany of ploys to lock unsuspecting users into the family of Microsoft substandard products. Just like a drug dealer offering the first "high" for free - the intent is to addict the user. Make them dependent. Make them climb into the "box" then convinces them that as mediocre as it is there is nothing better out side. All the while making them pay for the privilege of being an addict.

Could this be Microsoft's new business philosophy?

"There is a sucker born every minute."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:10 AM

    Nope, they're not getting my stuff. Not till they pry my USB flash drive from my cold dead fingers. It will hold anything I need to take with me or have access to away from office.

    Don't trust the suckers. Or Google or anyone else that wants to cache all your stuff for you. Take responsibility for your own stuff...

    ReplyDelete

. . .