Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Open First Amendment

Barack Obama is being lambasted in political circles for not condemning Louis Farrakhan. In Tuesday's "Debate" (citing the NYT transcript)

MR. RUSSERT: Senator Obama, one of the things in a campaign is that you have to react to unexpected developments.

On Sunday, the headline in your hometown paper, Chicago Tribune: "Louis Farrakhan Backs Obama for President at Nation of Islam Convention in Chicago." Do you accept the support of Louis Farrakhan?

SEN. OBAMA: You know, I have been very clear in my denunciation of Minister Farrakhan's anti-Semitic comments. I think that they are unacceptable and reprehensible. I did not solicit this support. He expressed pride in an African-American who seems to be bringing the country together. I obviously can't censor him, but it is not support that I sought. And we're not doing anything, I assure you, formally or informally with Minister Farrakhan.

MR. RUSSERT: Do you reject his support?

SEN. OBAMA: Well, Tim, you know, I can't say to somebody that he can't say that he thinks I'm a good guy. (Laughter.) You know, I -- you know, I -- I have been very clear in my denunciations of him and his past statements, and I think that indicates to the American people what my stance is on those comments.

Emphasis mine for clarity of focus...

Translation: Senator Obama have you stopped associating with anti-semites?

(To understand this translation see my previous post:
Open Truth)

Now, listen to the Truth of his answer ...
I obviously can't censor him, but it is not support that I sought. Senator Obama is honoring the First Amendment rights of Louis Farrakhan and the "American Political Experience" (A.P.E.) culture is trying to bludgeon him with it. These are the same First Amendment rights that we insists are our unalienable rights.
"Well, Tim, you know, I can't say to somebody that he can't say that he thinks I'm a good guy."

No comments:

Post a Comment

. . .